With the continuous development of infrastructure in India, civil engineering has become one of the highly demanded career streams of engineering among recruiters. This professional field has immense importance in our country and deals with the planning, designing, construction and maintenance of all the infrastructure that we can see today in our country.
To So, if you are the one planning to start a career as civil engineer in India, then you must know all about this field. So, in this article we will tell you about the fields in this profession, skills required, educational qualification and salary that you may draw.
Specialist fields in Civil Engineer Jobs:
- Material Science Expert: Material science experts who deal with the study of materials that are used in construction such as strong metals, chemicals, bricks and mortar. These employees assure that the materials used are of high quality and will last longer.
- Coastal Engineers: As the name suggests, these professionals deal with the construction in coastal regions. These experts work on the coastline to prevent erosion of coasts. They are specialists in creating water bridges, coastal buildings, sea walls, bulkheads, jetties etc.
- Construction Engineers: These specialists are usually deputed in cities they look after the construction of roads, tunnels, bridges, airports, railroads, dams etc.
- Environmental Engineer: These specialists deals with the management of hazardous waste. They work in construction proper sanitation and sewage systems.
- Municipal Engineer: This is one of the most famous job profile as civil engineer. These specialists deal with the municipal infrastructure construction this includes street, parks, sewer systems, waterworks, subways, pavements, overhead bridges etc.
Educational Requirements to Get Civil Engineer Jobs
To start a career as civil engineer in India one must know the eligibility criteria to enter this field. To start this education, one needs to take science (non-medical) stream in class 12th and then he may apply for the B.Tech. course in civil engineering after class 12th. In India, most employers expect a bachelors degree in engineering but there are a few job roles that require master’s education in engineering technology.
Here are the professional courses that the candidates can take up to become a civil engineer:
The major entrance examinations are:
- Bachelors in Technology (Civil engineering): This can be pursued through AIEEE (All India Engineering Entrance examination), Joint Entrance Exam main, All India Common Entrance Test (AICET), IIT-JEE. These are the top few examinations that one may take up to get the government-based colleges in India to pursue B.Tech. Although, there are various other private institutions to study but its better to take up civil engineering degree for the government institutions.
- Diploma in Civil Engineering: There are various government recognized Polytechnique’s which helps various aspirants to pursue diploma courses in civil engineering to take-up initial level or assistant level jobs.
- Master’s Degree: To pursue this course, it is mandatory to give GATE examination. Once a candidate clears this examination, he or she gets the colleges as per the merit. These courses are usually done by the candidates who wants to start a career in civil research or higher-level strategic positions.
Technical Skills Required to become a Civil Engineer:
- Scientific and Analytical Software: Trimble Geomatics Office, Minitab, The MathWorks MATLAB, HEC-HMS.
- Computer Aided Design Software (CAD): , PTC Creo Parametric, Bentley MicroStation, Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D, Dassault Systems SOLIDWORKS (DSS).
- Development Environment Software (DES): Microsoft Visual Basic, National Instruments LabVIEW, C Formula translation/translator FORTRAN.
- Photo Imaging or Graphic Software: Trimble SketchUp Pro, Bentley GeoPak Bridge, Adobe Systems Adobe Fireworks, SmugMug Flickr.
- Map creation software (MCS): Geographic information system GIS software, ESRI ArcGIS software, Cartography software, Intergraph MGE.
These are a few technological skills that are expected from a professional in the profession of civil engineer.
Job Roles in Civil Engineering:
- Project Manager Jobs
- Strategy Manager Jobs
- Assistant Project Manager Jobs
- Site Engineer Jobs
- Civil Engineer Jobs
- Deputy Civil Engineer Jobs
- Quality and procurement Specialist Jobs
- Planning and Design Specialist Jobs
- Construction Controller Jobs
- Consulting Engineer Jobs
- Water Engineer Jobs
Salary Drawn in Civil Engineer Jobs:
- At initial-level civil engineer who has less than 1 year of work experience can earn an average total salary of ₹ 3,40,000.
- In early career phase as civil engineer who has 1-4 years of work experience one can draw total compensation of ₹ 4,00,000.
- Reaching mid-career phase as civil Engineer with 5-9 years of work experience one may take home an average yearly compensation of ₹6,00,000.
- As an experienced civil engineer who has 10-19 years of work experience one may draw an average total remuneration of ₹8,50,000.
- Proceeding to late career 20 years and higher work experience as an employee one may earn an average total salary of ₹12,50,000.
So, if you are the one who wants to get civil engineer jobs after 12th class, then you must prepare for the exams stated above to gain knowledge and make a successful career.
Nikhil Mishra is a marketing communications professional with Monster.com. Monster is a global online employment solution for people seeking jobs and the employers who need great people. Nikhil has a diverse career and has been a former journalist, copywriter and an avid communications professional. His passion for the field of marketing and communications is a motivating force for his present career choice.